Explore this Article
If you have registered a business name before, then you will realize that registering a domain name is very much the same as registering a business name. It means that you are going to need to have something unique. You will then head to a registrar to pay for the domain name.
Also, you do NOT own a domain name until you have purchased it.
Domain Name Registration Costs
You will find that there are some domain name companies which will offer domain names free for a short period as a promotion. However, when the promotional period is up (normally a year), you will need to pay for the domain name; otherwise, you will lose ownership over it. The companies that tend to offer free domain name registration for the first year will often have the highest renewal costs too, so bear that in mind.
No matter where you buy your domain, it will end up being registered with the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers, or ICANN for short. Their job is to ensure the internet functions properly with domain names and the likes.
What is the Point of Registrars?
Registrars have been given the ability by ICANN to help you to purchase unique web addresses. When you buy a new domain name through the registrar, they will go to ICANN and tell them you have made a purchase. You will not be able to purchase a domain name from ICANN directly unless you are not one of domain registrars, which is a long and expensive process.
Registering a Domain
Thankfully, registering a domain name through one of the registrars isn’t that difficult. You will probably want to register with one of the big ones (this tutorial is an example of domain registration at Namecheap).
You need to make sure that you follow these steps:
- Start by creating an account with a Namecheap registrar.
- Log in to the account you have created.
- Head to the home page. You can click the site’s logo in the top right of the page to get to the home page.
- Type the domain name you want into the search box to see if it is available.
- If your domain name is not taken, add it to your cart. If it is, then look at the other options available to see if anything tickles your fancy.
- Go the checkout option and follow the payment process to buy your domain name.
- Follow the instructions to complete the registration of your domain name.